Vietnam Fisheries Society (VINAFIS) is a non-governmental organization, based on the principles of voluntary, autonomy and equality. VINAFIS members include Vietnamese fishermen, aquaculture producers, fisheries processors and organizations providing services in fisheries sector. Based on mutual supports, the Society was established in 2000 under Vietnamese Government Decision No. 33/2000/QĐ-BTCCBCP dated 5th May 2000. VINAFIS is member of the Viet Nam Fatherland Front, and the Union of VietNam’s Scientific and Technological Associations.
Missions and Objectives
1. VINAFIS support its members in economy and technology in the field of production, business and services and to improve livelihood of Vietnamese fishermen.
2. To protect legitimate interests of its members and fishermen; promotes dialogues and brings opinions of members and fishermen to policy-makers in order to adjust and formulate policies of fisheries development towards to sustainability and international integration.
3. Share its experiences and exchange information on issues related to VietNam sustainable fisheries development between members and other organizations and Government bodies.
Responsibility & activities
– Organize and coordinate with related agencies and institutions to implement its missions and to serve member’s interests.
– Disseminate, organize workshop/training included vocational training and provide the knowledge and professional skills for members; -Provide information on science, technology, market; Consulting and provide critique of relevant issues.
– Take part in discussion of legal documents, policies and mechanisms related to economic development activities of sector. To make recommendations of related issues to competent institutions of the State, protect the legal right and interests of its members.
– Represent members in internal and international cooperation based on its function and missions; Joint as a member of relevant international and regional organizations according to the laws.
– Execute guidelines, policy of Vietnamese Government and mobilize its members to support sustainable development of fisheries in VietNam.
1. VINAFIS system network through out VietNam, from central, provincial, district and commune levels:
– At the Central : There is the VINAFIS head office located in Ha Noi, 02 Representative Offices located in Nha Trang and Ho Chi Minh City; 04 professional sections, 04 sub-units under VINAFIS i.e Vietnam Fisheries Magazine, Fisheries training and extension Centre.
– At the local levels: There are 32 provincial VINAFIS with hundreds of thousands members.
– There are over 80 collective members, those are Universities, Research Institutes , and fisheries vocational colleges, companies operating in fisheries sector.
2. The Central Committee of VINAFIS consists of 85 members who are the former leaders from the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD), the leaders from Departments, Institutes and training agencies under MARD, from Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) at provinces and from fisheries establishments.
Consultation Committee together with VINAFIS’s staffs who has a lot of experiences in research, training and making plan, implementing projects, especially providing comment to development of fisheries policy and projects application as well as improving capacity of fisheries organization.
VINAFIS has good international relation and cooperation with fisheries organizations from ASEAN, and other international organizations, in order to exchange of scientific technology, economical cooperation, trading promotion and improvement of member’s capability for development of sustainable fisheries.